How do we prevent turning off 'Screen Time Access' in Settings? {SOLVED}

Ive been trying literally everything. Ive ran into one last problem.

• I use the shortcuts app to help block me from turning it off in Settings which works.
  • The only issue is, when I completely shut off my iPhone and turn it back on, the shortcuts dont run fast enough, I have about a minute to turn off Opal in settings and relapse. How can I prevent this? If this was fixed this app would be perfect.

There needs to be a way where Opal is part of the Screen Time settings which requires a passcode. Because if it required a passcode to turn it off, I would simply just give it to a family or friend to choose a passcode and then I would not be able to disable it.

1 Like

Disable ability to turn off Screen Time access from the system settings

Hey there @Barkin_Bryce,

Thanks for the suggestion. Iā€™ve merged your request into the existing thread on this topic, and would recommend taking the following steps to prevent yourself from turning off Opalā€™s access to screen time:

Please note that the instructions have recently changed due to changes with Apple, so you should be good to go!

All the best,
Team Opal

Hi folks, just found that in iOS 18 beta, you can remove the buttons for Network Settings and Focus Mode from the Control Center. Then you canā€™t long press it to get into settings. Of course, this is very inconvenient if you are somewhere new during the workday and you want to connect to a new wifi network. And you can easily add the buttons back. But itā€™s another obstacle to turning it off.

1 Like

Hi folks, as many of you know, there is a problem that occurs when you access Settings via Control Center (Iā€™ll try not to say too much). Well, if you enrol in the beta program and upgrade to iOS 18, you can customize your Control Center. And I know this is super annoying, but if you take the Network Settings buttons and the Focus Mode button out of Control Center entirely, you can no longer access Settings through there. Just uhhā€¦ Donā€™t add those buttons back on.

2 Likes

Amazing! thank you for sharing.
@Sarah_K should we add this trick to the FAQ guide?

Perfect!!! That is the greatest solution for this problem! It has its problems (like disabling the network and focus) but it makes Opal 100% useful again!

Iā€™ve just installed the IOS 18 Beta to check the new method of disabling network and focus.

Turns out you can easily enable network and focus again by clicking in the ā€œ+ā€ button on the new revamped control center. :frowning:

Back to where we were beforeā€¦

So, has anyone gotten anything out of the shortcuts? Would be happy to know if there are any changes.

Any news on the reboot workaround? Everything is working perfect but i can reboot and just turn everything offā€¦

How do you turn this off ? I dont see thw option anywhere

Have you found a fix yet this seems to be the only thing left

If you have shortscuts to settings when closed - open shortcuts - lock screen it dosent allow any password input, but by rebooting iphone the shortscuts have that 2 minute delayā€¦ if only shortscuts would work from the ms the iphone is turned on

So deep focus is also not effective until and unless you truly want to focus. So I found a setting of screen time in iOs known as screen time. So if you disallow screen time in the settings all the apps, webstes whatever you have blocked will work again and also this is tell the opal app that your apps are still locked but in reality it is not. If you want to solve this block settings app too which you cannot in opal. Go to setting ā€”> Screen time ā€”> Turn off opal access and your all blocked app will work and also you can see opal showing you that it is still blocked but in real it is not,

Hey @yash_negi,

Happy to help! You can prevent yourself from doing exactly that by following the steps here:

All the best,
Team Opal

1 Like

Thats not the only bypass. If you go into the control center and press down on the bluetooth icon and then go into bluetooth settings from there you will be able to go into settings without the shortcut working.

Hi! The issue with this shortcut is it takes you to Opal whenever you open Settings for anything, and sometimes you need to use Settings for something other than Screen Time Access. How do I alter the shortcut so I can still use Settings, just not change Screen Time Access?

@kenneth Hello, Opal Legend!
BTW, Iā€™m kind of new here.

Can you please make it so we canā€™t disable screen time access from the control center?

It could be anything, like losing access to your subscription or paying a set amount of money.

Right now, the app is typically not doing what it says it does. SO PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP :pray:
Also, similar apps like freedom do have the same problem, so if you could make this a reality, you can call it a ā€œfeatureā€!

In the meantime, this is how I prevent myself from using the control center.

So, this isnā€™t a fix for everyone butā€¦

ATTENTION : DOING THIS WILL PRACTICALLY MAKE YOUR PHONE USELESS. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILITY.

1. Turn off ā€œAccess Within Appsā€ in Control Center
    (Settings > Control Center > Access Within Apps)

2. Turn off ā€œAllow Access to Control Center When Lockedā€
    (Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Allowed access when locked: > Control Center)

3. Set the ā€œSetting Preventionā€ shortcut automation
    (THIS IS IN THE OPAL OFFICIAL WEBSITE)
    But, I advise to delete the ā€œOpen Opalā€ part, because it is redundant.

4. Setup a shortcut like this:

Is Opal protection On?
Show when run: Off
:arrow_down:
If ā€œIs Opal protection On?ā€
Open ā€œOpalā€
Otherwise
End If

1. Set a automation that runs this shortcut when the Opal app is closed AND opened

Automation: Run Immediately
Notify When Run: Off

When
When ā€œOpalā€ is opened or closed

Do
(The shortcut in Step 4)

ATTENTION Creating only one will make it easy to get to the control center. If you have more than 3, even if you try hard, you canā€™t reach the control center.

Great Job! Now your phone is a practical dumb phone.

ATTENTION When you try to open Settings, you will be in a loop between Opal and Settings. LOCK YOUR SCREEN once, and itā€™ll fix itself.
(If it doesnā€™t fix itself, press ā€œcancelā€ on the settings shortcut)

(Optional)
I like to have a shortcut in my Home Screen that goes to the control center settings, so I can enable control center afterwards.

Hereā€™s how to set it up.
Locked Control Center:
Open URL ā€œ prefs:root=PASSCODE ā€œ

Allow access to control center within apps:
Open URL ā€œ prefs:root=ControlCenter ā€œ

Let me know your suggestions on these shortcuts, and if you found this helpful, I would be very happy! :smiley:

But, as I said I wonā€™t be taking ANY responsibility over the fact that you canā€™t use your phone.

Here is an image of the shortcut in Step 4! :grin: