How do we prevent turning off 'Screen Time Access'? {SOLVED}

Hello Everyone,
I have finally found a way to ENSURE i cannot turn of the restrictions set

1 - TURN OFF FACE ID
2 - DOWNLOAD OPAL OR WHATEVER APP U DESIRE TO USE
3 - SET A SHORTCUT THAT WHEN SETTINGS IS OPENED, SHORTCUT IS OPENED THEN THE SCREEN IS LOCKED
4 - LOCK THE SHORTCUT APP
5 - TURN ON STRICT MODE

THAT IS IT!!!

the reason this works is because when you attempt to hit the toggle that turns the opal app off, you will be directed to enter in your passcode, this will take longer than a second and the screen will lock, requiring you to start all over again. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU USE A WORDED PASSWORD

for extra security ask a mate to set a screen time password on your phone if you would like

let me know how it goes and if you have any questions or find a loop hole?

1 Like

Nice one, I will try it. Later on you turn on Face ID again?

Otherwise, maybe another stupid option is to use parental controls.

yeh man im not gonna lie i found a loop hole and i was PISSED
i got my parents to set up a parent control on my iphone and it is helping so much
would definelty recommend

I realized i can enter settings and disconnect opal from accessing my screen time, and it basically turns off from blocking my apps. Screen time in the settings app or the settings app in general should be blocked

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out! I’ve merged your findings with the existing community post on this topic, as our Gems have found a way to bypass this loophole. Otherwise, here are our tips for making Opal as foolproof as possible:

All the best,
Sarah @ Opal

1 Like

Thank you so much @Sarah_K !

Nevertheless there still is a loophole!:::

pal_User_28343

Dec '22

Right, so what I’m suggesting is that when you go to Settings and try to turn off an app in ‘Apps with Screen Time Access’, it should require a different password to the device password for the reasons explained above. It would make sense to be the Screen Time passcode as Apple already supports this for applying device restrictions that the device owner can’t bypass.

This is indeed part of the way the Screen Time API currently works that is up to Apple. But it is a fundamental flaw that prevents apps like Opal from allowing user’s to self impose device restrictions in that way they can with Apple’s Built In Screen Time Restrictions. So it was worth raising to Opal to make them aware of the issue, so they can hopefully also discuss this with Apple as one of the biggest users of their Screen Time API.

Unfortunately, using Face ID but not knowing your device password would not work as a solution, because the device periodically requests the device password to unlock it (and when you restart the device).

@Kenneth Hi Opal Legend!

Do you have an update on this by any chance?

Thanks!

1 Like

@here has anyone been successful with this approach? debating wether to add it to our [FAQ](https://Opal FAQ | How can I make Opal foolproof? 13).

Is it only returning session ON in shortcuts for “Is Opal Protection On?” for an event/session and not just simple blocks anymore? It used to return ON for even just blocks but after not using for a couple months I see that it’s returning OFF now, so the automation won’t run for me

Has any fix been found for the 2nd issue(opening settings through the control center)?

Apparently, disabling face ID and activating the shortcut forwarding method that was mentioned here prevents you from disabling opal in screen time settings.

You can still access settings from control center (very hard to avoid that unless apple updates its IOS to a version that blocks that opening again), but you can’t disable opal.

Just tested it more carefully and I have an observation to add:

It is best to set the automation in shortcuts to “when settings is CLOSED” instead of “OPENED”. With that configuration (when settings is CLOSED), everytime I go to the screen time section to deactivate opal, it requests the screen time password and then forward me to the Opal app (Reminder: Face ID HAS TO BE TURNED OFF).

If the automation is set to “when settings is OPENED”, the trigger only occurs AFTER the password has been typed (or not typed, in case you don’t have the password because you make your parents type a secret password in your phone so that you don’t know what it is).

Personally, I prefer the “when settings is CLOSED” automation because I can keep the screen time password for myself without envolving other people (even though I can’t use the screen time password because the automation does not allow me to use it).

In conclusion, “when settings is OPENED” automation is good, but “when settings is CLOSED” is better because it does not give you even the chance to type the password.

Also, “when settings is CLOSED” automation lets you use settings as you wish, solving a problem from one of the users of this thread.

PS: You can put both “OPENED” and “CLOSED” in the automation for maximum perfomance. I think it is great too!!!

Thank you for the tips.

The problem I’m facing is that if I reboot my phone there is a time period (like 30 seconds) where all the Screen Time options seems disabled.

So, in this time period, I can open the Shortcuts app without problems because is not blocked by Opal and I can disable the automation. I tried to block the Shortcuts app directly with Screen Time (with the Time Limit option) but it’s the same. There is still this time period where the app is unblocked and I can always disable the automation.

If anyone have any ideas or tips to fix this problem is going to be extremely helpful!

1 Like

With the news today from the DOJ, hopefully Apple is forced to fix this now.

I’m dealing with the exact same problem as zFeDe. When i turn off my phone and I turn it on again, I can toggle off all screen time permissions :frowning: really need a fix for this

Hello @kenneth,
I have discovered a glitch to this safety feature.
You can force the automation by accessing settings in control centre.
By pressing the wifi icon and then selecting “open WiFi setting”, even works with Bluetooth,
You can open setting and the automation doesn’t work.
How this problem can be solved?

Yes - this has been a bug that most people have known about for a while.

You can’t do anything about it - hence rendering Opal useless, unfortunately.

1 Like

Shortcuts automation doesn’t recognize BLOCKS as being ON… is there any way to fix this? Only events are recognized as on. I could’ve sworn this was working before. Is there a setting I need to change?

Yup you’re right.

This has stopped working as well.

Buy an android instead.

Thank you for reporting this - we will look into it ASAP and report back here.