Sharing / Sync Across Devices with Account

Hey there,

Sorry for the frustration! Iā€™m afraid this is by design - Opalā€™s main technology is built so that our app blocks connections locally (on your phone), without your data being stored on our servers. Unlike most apps, Opal works entirely on your phone and personal browsing data never leaves your device. Thereā€™s more info on that here:

I took a look through that page, but I still donā€™t think utā€™s addressing my issue. Itā€™s perfectly fine to have it so that the appā€™s blocking functions are done locally on the phone via Screen Time. I also applaud the commitment not to take unnecessary data.

But you already do have some data about me that you carry over (for example, my profile picture, the fact that Iā€™m a subscriber, etc.). So why canā€™t we have it so that when I sign in on a new device, I can have pre-saved templates of my sessions, complete with the app lists Iā€™ve already created on my phone?

NB, this is not asking for it to be one continuous session shared between the two devices. It would really be a copy of my sessions and app lists, which I could then quickly ā€œinstallā€ on my new device.

1 Like

I just re-downloaded Opal onto my iPad; I primarily use it on my iPhone.

When I first downloaded the app, it asked me if I wanted to create an account or sign in ā€” fine. But before I could tap ā€œsign in,ā€ it whooshed me away to the questionnaire I did when I first signed up for the app (how much time do you spend using screens daily, etc.), which was really annoying.

Ultimately, without having to sign in, it recognized that it was me. My profile picture and Pro membership carried over successfully. However, nothing else did. None of the sessions that exist on my iPhone app were there and I had to start from scratch, which is annoying because itā€™s taken a lot of tinkering to get them right.

Iā€™d appreciate if the team could streamline the way you sign in on a different advice, I.e., have everything carry over once youā€™re signed in, and not gave me go through the quiz process and everything again.

Hey there,

Thanks for the clarification. I have merged your request with the existing page about this desired feature. Stay tuned!

All the best,
Sarah @ Opal

Any progress on this?

Hi there,
I think it would be great if Opal in Windows (Chrome Add-On)/MacOS + Opal in Phone can be all linked,
You can stopp using a distracting app in the phone but you can easilly open it in your computer, and then the time tracking will not be including in the phone app. I think this can help to improve Screen Time for all devices.

1 Like

Hey Martin,

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ve merged this request with an existing thread on the subject. Iā€™m afraid itā€™s not possible to sync sessions across devices currently due to how we store your data (which will always stay on your device). That said, we are currently beta testing our Mac app to help reduce your screen time on your computer, and hope to implement more comprehensive features there. You can sign up for beta testing here:

https://community.opal.so/t/welcome-to-opals-mac-beta-test/2950

All the best,
Team Opal

2 Likes

Hey Sarah,

Even if the sessions arenā€™t synced is it possible to sync at least the screen time data?
Thanks!

It would be quite useful to log screen time from other devices, such as tv or gaming devices that you canā€™t have Opal monitor to gain a more thorough result.

Hey there,

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ve merged this request with an existing thread on the subject. Iā€™m afraid itā€™s not possible to sync sessions across external devices. That said, we are currently beta testing our Mac app to help reduce your screen time on your computer, and hope to implement more comprehensive features there. You can sign up for the Mac version here:

All the best,
Team Opal