App Open Limit / Block apps after X opens

Just wanted to add that I would love support for setting a number of opens of a particular app. For example, to allow myself to go on Instagram once per day. I already use the Apple Time Limits in Screen Time, which work quite well but I don’t like feeling time pressure when knowing the app is counting down the minutes. I’d prefer to be able to open apps a particular number of times, and then while I’m using them I can be more relaxed.

7 Likes

I agree. Another great use case would be if I only allow myself to check email 2 times a day, then any additional times it’s blocked. I would love a functionality like such.

1 Like

Extend app time limit concept to app open limits - just opening an app itself can be very distracting and detrimental to deep work. Would be great to have a feature that would block an app from being opened per user defined setting (E.g. 3 opens per day) - a competitive product Clearspace has this very feature.

It would be nice if we could see how many times that we tried to open an app that was blocked by Opal during a focus session.

3 Likes

I believe app pickups are more important than screen time. I’d rather spend 10 minutes on IG once per day than for 1 minute 10 times per day.

1 Like

the app limitation is already here. However, I wish to have a new app limitation, which is not an app limitation for a day but a limitation for one time. For example, we can limit YouTube to only 20 minutes after we open it. It will be blocked after 20 minutes of usage and then unblocked after 15 minutes or more(depending on the setting).

The point is if we close it early, next time we can still use it for 20 minutes, which means the time we could use the app next time will be renewed. However, during using the app, switching to another app and back in a short time would not renew the usage.

Hope it is clear, please let me know if there is anything. Thank you.

1 Like

I have an issue with mindlessly app switching. Eg checking emails out of habit then being sucked into unproductive reading.

Was this feature ever included? It’s not so much a time issue for me it’s the switching apps and losing focus.

This is an important and essential feature that we need. It would be beneficial to have the option to block access by combining both time and click limits. For example, if I reach this time limit or exceed the click limit, the app would be blocked. This feature would be particularly helpful for apps that encourage frequent checking, such as email and social media platforms.