🥳 [Completed] Block opening apps, dont just block internet

Feature Requested By: Clay Huston
Number of Votes: 37
View Original Post: Block opening apps, dont just block internet · Opal Feedback

I’d be more convinced that opal is working properly if it blocked me from opening an app rather than just saying the internet is blocked. A lot of the content on apps like Twitter is still viewable even when opal is on, I’m guessing because the feeds already been loaded.

Comment By: Kenneth

Hey Clay, we have shipped a shortcut automation which does this. Check it out! Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

1 Like

Feature Requested By: Kenneth
Number of Votes: 18
View Original Post: Stop me from opening Apps · Opal Feedback

Before I tried the app, I imagined that it actually wouldn’t allow me to even enter the locked apps

1 Like

We are currently working on automated iOS shortcuts to redirect you to Opal if you open a blocked app.

Comment By: Anonymous

Great! For clarification, it’s also just odd with you open the app and it feels like you have no internet. I still sometimes click on the logo even with Opal on :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s shipped! check it out Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

Add new feature to create a block that gets triggered when you use an app for more than X minutes consecutively in order to force you to take a break.

Eg. Daily usage of instagram is limited to 1 hour; I could use all the time budget from 9am to 10am but a block that gets triggered at 9:15am until 9:30am would prevent me from scrolling for 1 hour non-stop and then not having acceds to the app for the whole day.

Thanks!! I love the app, I appreciate your work

Hey there,

Thanks for the suggestion @here ! We already have this feature, it’s called App Lock:

If you opt to set up your Instagram usage that way, you can decide how many times per day and for how long you can unlock Instagram.

I hope that helps, and thanks for the suggestion!

All the best,
Sarah @ Opal

1 Like

I’d love to see Opal create a feature similar to app lock where you can only click open the app X amount of times before there’s either a block or 15 min cooldown between uses.

I have a tendency to open my messages to check for nothing and would love to try reducing that!

Hi Could you make it so that there is a maximum number of times that an app would be blocked in a day after exceeding its time limit. so for instance, after spending two blocks of 15 minutes on an app it would then be blocked until the end of the day. This would work so that I can use the app guilt free for 15 minutes twice a day and then not again so that I avoid death scrolling. Thanks I hope that made sense.

Hey there,

Happy to help! We actually already have this feature. It’s called app lock and you can read more about how to set it up here:

Enjoy!

All the best,
Sarah @ Opal