Add Missions [Game, Puzzle, Scan QR code,..] to gain access to blocked apps / take a break

Feature Requested By: B
Number of Votes: 4
View Original Post: https://opal.nolt.io/166

Currently I can specify that I want to take a break for up to 59 minutes, it takes willpower to set a reasonable time (rather than just spinning the dial to get a large number). Given I’m using Opal to avoid falling into social media black holes where checking one message turns into 30 minutes of doomscrolling, it’d be great if Opal was able to drip-feed access to specified ‘problematic’ apps, and that in order to unlock the app I needed to do some kind of challange.

So for example, given I have specified that Twitter is problematic, i.e. addictive, then I should have to complete some kind of puzzle in order to unlock it, and every 10 minutes I should have to complete another puzzle to keep it unblocked—with the puzzles becoming increasingly difficult every 10 minutes.

Include some kind of game, puzzle, or task that needs to be completed before a break can be used. Something to make breaks more difficult to take.

Perhaps activate this feature after a certain amount of breaks have been taken by a user.

There can be difficulty levels for break deterrents as well.

I have an alarm app called, Alarmy, and the best feature of it is you can set missions to complete in before you can turn off the alarm. My favorite one is you need to scan a QR code. I places the QR code somewhere far from my bed, and I need to get up and scan it to turn the alarm off.

I think this can be a great feature for Opal, add missions to complete in order to cancel a session or just gain a temporary access to an app. Not everyone can commit to the deep focus mode, and the normal mode is just too easy.

Mission mode will work the same as the normal mode, but they need to complete a mission, preferably a QR code scan, placed somewhere by the user. This way, it’s not as intimidating as the deep focus mode, but it will add a significant amount of friction just to gain back access to the apps. Can be a cancellation of the session, or a break.

3 Likes

This honestly defeats the purpose of Opal. Do not set to Deep Focus if you cannot complete it. That’s the solution.

1 Like

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing it. I also love how you named it. There’s a similar topic already called Add Missions [Game, Puzzle, Scan QR code,..] to gain access to blocked apps / take a break

But I like this name better. Will merge the two and keep your naming!

Many times while traveling I can’t do much productive work so Instagram is more useful. In these situations it would be great to have an option for unlocking a blocked app via reading for a certain amount of time or by solving math equations. Every time it could become more demanding so as to limit the function. I think that this would be ideal for many people. Another idea would be linking it to duolinguo or falou. And a certain amount of time in an educational app allows to unlock non productive apps