New Home / Focus Score: Your Feedback?

We want to simplify how you can use Opal to check your focus and screen time throughout the day. @Anton @matt and I have been working on the below design concept:

• no more ā€œScoreā€ tab
  • new Home that shows your day up to now as an hourly bar chart, with in green time focused time which includes time youā€™re offline and screen time on ā€œfocusedā€ apps, Vs in red ā€œdistractedā€ screen time.
  • you can tap and scrub individual bars in the chart to see the data for specific hours
  • you can see the list of all apps/websites you used, time spent
  • you can tap on any app/website in the list to edit their focus level (ā€œfocusedā€, ā€œdistractedā€, or neutral where it wonā€™t count in your screen time)
  • you can tap ā€œtodayā€ to pick another date in the past and see the data for that day

Instead of representing your Focus as a numerical value out of 10 (ā€˜focus scoreā€™), we show it as a colorful bar chart with red being distracted and green being focused.
Animated GIF

Let us know what you think:

• How excited are you about this change? From 1-5 where 1 is ā€˜itā€™s terribleā€™, 3 is ā€˜meehā€™ and 5 is ā€˜itā€™s the best thing everā€™
  • How would you improve it?
3 Likes

5 because it solves my two main issues, which I only shared a couple of days ago so thanks for the reactivity :slight_smile: but can be improved of course.

• First, I would recommend not showing the ā€œtime offlineā€ on the bar graph. The bar graph can show the distracting-apps-time in red, the productive-apps-time in green, and the offline-time just not showing. This way the red and green portions of the bar add up to the total screen-time, so you have an extra piece of graphic information on this graph.

• Second, since there is good and bad screen-time, you should differentiate it in the big number shown on the home screen. Beyond the blocking, this is the most important addition of your app to iOS Screen Time: I donā€™t really care about how much total time I spent on my phone today, I care about how much DISTRACTING time I spent on my phone today. To match the graph (if you implement the change I suggested above), you could simply display the number for the distracting-apps-time in red, and the number for the productive-apps-time in green (or, better, the total screen-time in white).

• While youā€™re at it, add a Y-axis showing some ticks for time, like iOS Screen Time (I recommend showing the 15min, 30min, and 45min marks)

• The ā€œ% distracted timeā€ is ambiguous. Is this the change relative to the previous hour? To the previous day? To the same hour from the previous day? In any case, I am not convinced this is super relevant at a sub-day level, since our days are organized so that it is expected to have periods of time where we are more distracted than others. This kind of % change is more relevant from day to day, or even more so from week to week, as this is where progress is to be observed.

• I liked the qualificatives that went with the focus score (that is, ā€œflow stateā€, ā€œdeep focusā€, ā€œdistractedā€, etc.) so feel free to keep them. This could be useful for very relevant analysis downstream, such as ā€œHow many waking hours I spent this week in ā€œdeep-focusā€ or better? How many hours was I ā€œvery distractedā€?ā€ etc.

1 Like

Excellent feedback - I agree with all your points! One of the challenges with opal is that the information is not always clear in its relativity and I like how your points address that

I love the idea of the visual indicatorā€¦ā€¦

Iā€™d rate it a 4. This looks like a really good concept. I just check to see that another app (Speechify) was rated as distracting when I was using it for productive reading, so it would be great to be able to rate how useful/distracting it was this time or for all time. I do feel like the wave in its current iteration is a little more obvious than the video, but maybe itā€™s just the preview.
I would also like to see either distracted percentage as compared to last week or just see how much of my phone use was productive or distracted.

1 Like

3/5

I miss the score - big part of the appeal for me was the gamified aspect, seeing my score go up and down based on my distraction. I think having the big score first helped me stay accountable so I would like to see that back.

I like the bar chart - the fact it includes non-use time in green is a benefit for me. Unlike the previous commenter, I am definitely trying to get my overall screen time down.

I also think the functionality of the history review has been worsened, I preferred the older scoreboard review style compared to the new one which is harder to toggle between days.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, my score is a 2! I really miss the simplicity of the old numerical score, as I was motivated by the gameified aspect of it and trying to get a better score than the day before.

I also miss how easy it was to look back through previous days.

The gem doesnā€™t mean that much to me.

• How excited are you about this change? From 1-5 where 1 is ā€˜itā€™s terribleā€™, 3 is ā€˜meehā€™ and 5 is ā€˜itā€™s the best thing everā€™
  • How would you improve it?
2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty new but reading this post and comments made me think about one possible idea to help perfectionists like me. Itā€™s basically incorporating a graph indicator used commonly in stock trading called Moving Averages. You can have a 3 Day Moving Average (MA), a 7 Day, a 30 Day and a ā€˜long termā€ 90 Day. Basically you can see if over the course of a day (or you could make them weekly moving averages), if ā€˜on averageā€™ were you performing above average MOST of the time. If you spend at least 51% of your time better than the average of the previous 3/7/30/90 days, then your Moving Average moves up so slightly. Just a thought for including a score or comparative metric in it while keeping the focus on improving.