🔥 [Planned] A desktop app for Opal 🖥️ (Mac, PC)

Feature Requested By: Amrith Shanbhag
Number of Votes: 138
View Original Post: A desktop app for Opal 🖥️ · Opal Feedback

Would love to use Opal on my Mac as well so it’s easier to stay indistracted at work too.

10 Likes

Comment By: Fabrizio

I would be amazing if it was synced across devices, to block anything everywhere at once.

10 Likes

Comment By: JonasJoel

This would be amazing!

1 Like

Feature Requested By: Anonymous
Number of Votes: 5
View Original Post: labtop · Opal Feedback

can you block distracting apps on my labtop too?

1 Like

Feature Requested By: Lindsay Bailey
Number of Votes: 19
View Original Post: Expand to Computers! · Opal Feedback

I would love to use this app on my PC while I am working throughout the day. I have it enabled on my iPhone right now, but I work at a computer all day and can easily just open up Facebook/Hulu/Netflix etc. on my browser. It would really help with my productivity!

1 Like

Feature Requested By: Zoe Kritikos
Number of Votes: 10
View Original Post: Sync multiple devices · Opal Feedback

Sync your activity between multiple devices (MacBook, iPhone, iPad…)

3 Likes

Number of Votes: 3
View Original Post: Opal for Chrome · Opal Feedback

Would love to be able to use Opal on my Mac :pray:

1 Like

Number of Votes: 12
View Original Post: Desktop application! · Opal Feedback

^^

1 Like

Number of Votes: 37
View Original Post: Opal for Mac · Opal Feedback

Opal app for mac would be great too i feel like, alot of time while working i would get distracted with certain apps, website. I think with opal this issue can be resolved.

1 Like

Comment By: Fabrizio

It would be so great if it worked in sync with the iOS app, so you could really block anything across devices.

1 Like

Comment By: Nikita Korobkin

+1
I only need it on the Mac, honestly

This is the only reason I pay for Freedom.to instead of Opal, because it also blocks apps and websites on macOS (and not just in Chrome).

Because let’s be honest, many of us work on a computer for most of the day so it doesn’t help if Opal only keeps my iPhone from opening distracting apps when I can happily do so on my Desktop.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Ideally: how do you want the desktop app to work @chapati ?

• would you sync sessions from mobile and desktop to block at the same time? Anything else?
1 Like

As I do most of my work on a computer (which I’d assume is the case for many Opal users), it’d be great if I can start Opal from my desktop as well so I don’t even get tempted to pick up my phone (even if just to start an Opal session!)

A few thoughts on what I’d like to see in the desktop app (macOS specific):

• Be a menubar app (i.e. don’t clutter my ⌘ + TAB app switcher with another icon)
  • Allow me to start a session with a global keyboard shortcut
  • Sync sessions with my phone (If i start a session on my phone => sync it to desktop, and vice versa)
  • Block desktop apps (ideally keep me from opening them at all, if technically feasible)
  • Block websites regardless of browser used
  • Same quality of gamification as on iOS (i.e. encourage me to focus just a little bit longer by nudging me via my rank in high score lists, beating a personal focus record, etc)
  • Amazing-to-have: content-based in-app filtering where possible (i.e. allow me to only do work emails, but hide my newsletters and other distracting email)
  • Cool-to-have: Show my current goal on top of all other apps (i.e. constantly remind me what I am currently trying to get done). Getslash.co does a pretty good job at that and is generally an app I would take inspiration from https://getslash.co
4 Likes

It says this feature is planned, but how long is it expected to take?

Thanks for the ask - this feature will come in 2023.

6 Likes

Hi Kenneth,

thanks for dropping that in here… im a new premium user of your product and love it! it looks great and I love the integrations into iOS/iPadOS!

Great job to you and your team!

1 Like

Will the desktop app also utilise the screentime API? Is it available in Ventura? Or will that be VPN based?

1 Like

iPad app as well, or at least let the iPhone download on the iPad sync with the other apps. It’s nice having iPhone app and browser concedes, very annoying to have iPad separate.

2 Likes

Thanks @ianwatts ! what specifically do you want to sync between iPad and iPhone?