App Crashing when you select Apps / Websites or "Other" Category

I try to select individual apps in the ā€˜otherā€™ category and they do not show up when I try to expand the list I just get a blank screen.

Hey Paul this is connected to this issue: App Crashing when you select Apps / Websites or "Other" Category

When I go to edit my app groups, there are multiple categories of apps (e.g. Social, Games) you can add to or delete from a blocklist or whitelist. Usually, when you click on a category (Social, for example), it reveals all the apps in that category you can add to a blocklist. However, when I do this for the last category on the list, ā€œOther,ā€ it just reveals a blank, black screen.

Iā€™m wondering if a) anyone else has experienced this issue, and b) where Opalā€™s progress is on fixing the bug since I first emailed them about it around April 12.

Thank you!

So why doesnā€™t Opal just add a search bar at the top. When you limit screen time with Apple in the iphone, I donā€™t have to deal with this problem since I can just type the app name. I canā€™t do that on OPAL. And the apps I want to block fall under other. I will have to end my subscription then. Otherwise no point.

1 Like

Hey,

Could you verify the iOS version currently installed on your device? Apple introduced the search bar to this view from iOS 16.4 onwards. By updating your phone to this version, you should be able to observe the search bar as you expect.

I hope this information proves helpful. Should you require further assistance, please donā€™t hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Hey,
Itā€™s unfortunately out of our hands, this view is provided by Apple, and the issue is on their side. We reported the issue to them almost a year ago, but they didnā€™t fixed it yet (the issue is still there on the last iOS 17 beta)

Sorry for the inconvenience !

Regards

Just to add @Diana_Lopez you should be able to see this:

Iā€™ve reproduced it a few times on my device.

• I go to Sessions
  • I click to edit my event
  • I click ā€œApps Blockedā€
  • I click and scroll through a category, e.g. Social
  • I click and scroll through another category, e.g. Games
  • Screen starts to lag, scroll choppily ā†’ ā€œThis Apple Screen has crashedā€.

Thank you for sharing @Adam_Park ! thank you for reproducing and sorry about the experience. This bug is part of a broader list of issues with the screen time API we have reported to apple Relationships at Apple? Screen Time Issues - Reporting to Apple

In the meantime:

App keeps freezing lately. Last week or soā€¦ any time you try to open the session the app just freezes. Devs pls fix

I have iOS 16.1.1 and I donā€™t see a search barā€¦ thereā€™s two apps I really need but also really need to block for periods of time. When I go to ā€œOtherā€ it just crashes.

Hey, I have the same issue lately - unfortunately.

Could you take a look at this? Or is there already a solution for this problem, of not showing any apps when creating an app group? @kenneth

Canā€™t edit my app groups :frowning:

@kenneth

Thank you for sharing. Iā€™m sorry to see this, havenā€™t seen it before. Can you share a video of the experience?

Can you try

1. Force close and reopen the Opal app
  2. Turn your phone on/off
1 Like

Reinstalling the app fixed the issue!

1 Like

Agree!! Thanks for pointing this out. Spent forever trying to find an app by looking through every category, essentially increasing my screen time while trying to limit itā€¦ A search bar is needed!

@Klair_Hans can you send a screenshot of how your app selection looks like? normally from iOS16.4 onwards there is a search bar. This screen is controlled by Apple. Please update your iPhone (how to).

When I try adding apps from the ā€œotherā€ category to a blocking session the app freezes and shuts down,

1 Like

Current situation working on iOS.

Social group opens, can select which ones i want.

Canā€™t open any other folder.

I can search for W and get some apps show up that have. W in them like Word, others however donā€™t.

I canā€™t search under other letters, A, H donā€™t work, screen crashes.

I canā€™t add Productivity folder to the white list as thereā€™s too many in it.

No matter which way i try and work it there is no way to use this app to make it work for blocking all of the the distracting apps i need it too.

When will this be fixed, itā€™s been over a year now. I signed up for lifetime subscription and Iā€™m really angry at the apparent lack of care that you have for your customers about this. I want a refund.

Same issue, but for me itā€™s a lot bigger than the ā€œOtherā€ category, so I thought Iā€™d document it in case itā€™s helpful.

Drop down menus that crash: Social, Entertainment, Information & Reading, Productivity & Finance, Other. Crashes when I search for the letter: A, C, D, E, H, I, L, M, N, O, R, S, T, U

Drop down menus that donā€™t crash: Games, Creativity, Education, Health & Fitness, Shopping & Food, Travel, Utilities. Letters I can search: B, F, G, J, K, P, Q, V, W, X, Y, Z.

I understand the problem is on Appleā€™s end, but do yā€™all have an explanation for why it happens? (For exampleā€”is it having too many apps in one category? Would a drop down menu start working again if I delete a few unused apps in that category?)