App Crashing when you select Apps / Websites or "Other" Category

UPDATE From iOS16.4 onwards you will have a search bar in the app selection screen. This allows you to search for any app on your phone, and should not crash. If you donā€™t see it, please update your iPhone (how to).

We are aware of an issue where Opal will freeze or crash when you select the ā€œOtherā€ category or search for specific apps/websites when youā€™re selecting apps/websites to block.

This issue is described here with a video:
https://twitter.com/garrettwords/status/1648194253410152448

This is an issue on Appleā€™s side, linked the Screen Time API. We need your help to report it back to Apple so they can prioritize a fix.

UPDATE @today TLDR: if you have a personal relationship with engineers at Apple and enjoy Opal, weā€™d love to connect with them Relationships at Apple? Screen Time Issues - Reporting to Apple

2 Likes

When I go to edit my app groups, there are multiple categories of apps (e.g. Social, Games) you can add to or delete from a blocklist or whitelist. Usually, when you click on a category (Social, for example), it reveals all the apps in that category you can add to a blocklist. However, when I do this for the last category on the list, ā€œOther,ā€ it just reveals a blank, black screen.

Iā€™m wondering if a) anyone else has experienced this issue, and b) where Opalā€™s progress is on fixing the bug since I first emailed them about it around April 12.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello!
Thanks for reporting the issue. Unfortunately, this screen is made by Apple, not us, and we cannot fix it ourselves.
We reported the issue in August 22, while iOS 16 was still in beta, and we havenā€™t seen any advancement since then.

We will keep you posted if we here back from Apple, we hope theyā€™ll fix it in with iOS 17 that will go out in September.

Hey team
reporting one issue that Iā€™m experiencing on ā€œiPhone 13 Pro maxā€

Whenever I try to white list any app from ā€œPrudctivity and financeā€ category, the app freezes, and Iā€™m unable to do it

Tried in different session and the same problem.

Here is a video demo for this

I hope Iā€™m creating the right thread.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, this is a known Apple issue we are working to resolve with them, here is more information about it App Crashing when you select Apps / Websites or "Other" Category

I try to select individual apps in the ā€˜otherā€™ category and they do not show up when I try to expand the list I just get a blank screen.

Hey Paul this is connected to this issue: App Crashing when you select Apps / Websites or "Other" Category

When I go to edit my app groups, there are multiple categories of apps (e.g. Social, Games) you can add to or delete from a blocklist or whitelist. Usually, when you click on a category (Social, for example), it reveals all the apps in that category you can add to a blocklist. However, when I do this for the last category on the list, ā€œOther,ā€ it just reveals a blank, black screen.

Iā€™m wondering if a) anyone else has experienced this issue, and b) where Opalā€™s progress is on fixing the bug since I first emailed them about it around April 12.

Thank you!

So why doesnā€™t Opal just add a search bar at the top. When you limit screen time with Apple in the iphone, I donā€™t have to deal with this problem since I can just type the app name. I canā€™t do that on OPAL. And the apps I want to block fall under other. I will have to end my subscription then. Otherwise no point.

1 Like

Hey,

Could you verify the iOS version currently installed on your device? Apple introduced the search bar to this view from iOS 16.4 onwards. By updating your phone to this version, you should be able to observe the search bar as you expect.

I hope this information proves helpful. Should you require further assistance, please donā€™t hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Hey,
Itā€™s unfortunately out of our hands, this view is provided by Apple, and the issue is on their side. We reported the issue to them almost a year ago, but they didnā€™t fixed it yet (the issue is still there on the last iOS 17 beta)

Sorry for the inconvenience !

Regards

Just to add @Diana_Lopez you should be able to see this:

Iā€™ve reproduced it a few times on my device.

• I go to Sessions
  • I click to edit my event
  • I click ā€œApps Blockedā€
  • I click and scroll through a category, e.g. Social
  • I click and scroll through another category, e.g. Games
  • Screen starts to lag, scroll choppily ā†’ ā€œThis Apple Screen has crashedā€.

Thank you for sharing @Adam_Park ! thank you for reproducing and sorry about the experience. This bug is part of a broader list of issues with the screen time API we have reported to apple Relationships at Apple? Screen Time Issues - Reporting to Apple

In the meantime:

App keeps freezing lately. Last week or soā€¦ any time you try to open the session the app just freezes. Devs pls fix

I have iOS 16.1.1 and I donā€™t see a search barā€¦ thereā€™s two apps I really need but also really need to block for periods of time. When I go to ā€œOtherā€ it just crashes.

Hey, I have the same issue lately - unfortunately.

Could you take a look at this? Or is there already a solution for this problem, of not showing any apps when creating an app group? @kenneth

Canā€™t edit my app groups :frowning:

@kenneth

Thank you for sharing. Iā€™m sorry to see this, havenā€™t seen it before. Can you share a video of the experience?

Can you try

1. Force close and reopen the Opal app
  2. Turn your phone on/off
1 Like

Reinstalling the app fixed the issue!

1 Like