How do we prevent turning off 'Screen Time Access' in Settings? {SOLVED}

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your experience and the frustration here. Thank you for reporting.

Update: this issue is at the top of our bug list at the moment, looking to fix ASAP.

2 Likes

At this moment, if you are struggling, you might consider buying a dumb phone (e.g. Nokia 6300 4g, Nokia 2720 4G). They have WhatsApp built-in and it is impossible to install any social media due to the OS used, in this case KaiOs.

Opal is useless currently with all these tricks.

1 Like

I would prefer the solution of having to pay a fee every time I try to turn off screen time access ($5? $10? custom?). I have found this to be best deterrent in other screen time apps like Cold Turkey. I would assume this could be a setting that can be turned on, but not off during deep focus blocks. I like this solution, because it would not prevent me from accessing the rest of my settings like the current solution that uses an automation (which as we also know has its workarounds).

1 Like

Hey Kenneth, please try to fix this Screen Time Access issue. Please! You donā€™t understand how happy I was when I found out I can fully block my phone using Opal, only minutes later to find out I can turn it off in Screen Time. Please Kenneth! I know you can do it! Nothing is impossible, and being able to do this will be REVOLUTIONARY for your company! Thank you so much for creating such an amazing product, you guys just need to do a small touchup on this little feature, and it will be OUTSTANDING! I can not wait to reclaim my life with you guys.

3 Likes

I think this might be impossible to do unless your phone is under real restrictions such as MDM. You have to understand that Apple only allows developer do so much, the best way to do it is has someone else to set the screen time passcode, so that you donā€™t attempt to unlock it.

See Here:

Similar to app uninstall protection, a feature which doesnā€™t allow Opal to be unticked below the ā€œApps with screen-time accessā€ in the screentime section in settings should be added

Hey there,

Happy to help! Iā€™ve merged this request into another community forum post about the same topic. You should be able to prevent yourself from turning off screen time access by following the instructions here and reading through this thread:

I hope that helps!
Team Opal

This does not work. Simple trick still works: getting into settings through wifi or bluetooth in control center and disabling opal in screen time settings.

Opal also became useless for me after discovering this set of workarounds.

After searching for new solutions, I came across Password Locker which is the only thing Iā€™ve found that has ZERO workarounds. Here, Screen Time is used as the blocker, and Password Locker holds the Screen Time passcode for you (retrieved through a painful 20min process to deter you from disabling Screen Time) and cleverly helps you enter it into your phone without you remembering (replacing the need for another person to hold it for you).

Then, it mimics the scheduled periods by making the Screen Time passcode available at specified times, but cleverly lets you enter the passcode in in a way you wonā€™t remember. For any workarounds to Screen Time you find, thereā€™s a blog post that explains how to block them.

Itā€™s the only thing Iā€™ve tried with zero workarounds and has additional features on top of what Screen Time alone provides. Itā€™s been working fantastically for me! Finally back to minimal screen time use.

1 Like

Unforunatly as long as there is a way for me to get over the protection it is not usable for me :confused:

2 Likes

I wondering if you can block the ability to remove access to screen time in the I phone settings
I donā€™t know how or if you are able but this will really help me

Hey there,

Happy to help! Iā€™ve merged this request into another community forum post about the same topic. You should be able to prevent yourself from turning off screen time access by following the instructions here and reading through this thread:

I hope that helps!
Team Opal

When I put deep focus, I can enter the settings and close the use period for opal. I think if you block the settings, it will be better. :heart:

When I put deep focus mode, I enter the settings, close the duration restrictions, and open applications.

Hey there,

I hope that helps!
Team Opal

Any update on this? At least blocking settings I. The past was an acceptable solution. If we can get that back, would be great.

yes im still wondering when thereā€™s a solution to this huge problem. This is what stops me from using Opal, since its so easy to get out of deep state.

yes im still wondering when thereā€™s a solution to this problem. I canā€™t get to settings which is annoying.

This is what stops me from using Opal, since its so easy to get out of deep state.

how did you set it up?