[🚨FIRST STEP] Introduce Yourself and Meet the Community

Hello,

Welcome to the Opal :gem: community!

I’m Kenneth, founder of Opal, and lover of all gems. Together we (if you are reading this you are we) are on a mission to help 1Bn people focus day to day (and accomplish their dreams).

Since I started working on Opal, there isn’t a day that goes by without at some point feeling totally amazed, by the diversity, background and energy of humans on Opal. I’m constantly surprised to learn about new fascinating people using Opal on Twitter, on our own bug reports and through emails we receive. I thought it was high time we had a place for our community to meet each other. so…

Here, you’ll be able to chat with other :gem: gems in the Opal community on subjects around Focus, screen time, digital wellbeing and more!

To start, let me introduce myself: I’m Kenneth, founder of Opal.

• Pro: Before Opal, I spent 15 years working on technology products in NYC and Paris, today I help Opal as CEO, especially on the product and marketing side. More on my personal website.
  • Work setup: hybrid from Remote (I have an office at home in Paris with a large screen or work from travels) and in-office (we have a coworking subscription at Spaces to work with the team.
  • I use Opal to: better focus during my work and avoid micro-interruptions from app pickups, and stay offline 1 day a week (typically Saturdays).
  • My Schedules: Work Monday-Friday 9am-6pm, blocking social media and news.
  • Dreams: I want to help 1Bn people focus day to day (and accomplish their dreams). I also want to be present and connected to life throughout my life.
  • Opal: explain how your discovered Opal

Now, your turn! click on « Reply » to introduce yourself in a few lines and meet other members :microphone:

And don’t forget to add your profile picture :camera_flash:!

10 Likes

Hello hello, I’m Ramy, founder’s associate at Opal! :dizzy:

Pro: I’m about to enter my 3rd year as a Computer Science and Cognitive Science double major at the University of Toronto! (hello to all Canadians :maple_leaf:) I joined Opal over the summer to work on a variety of things, including content creation, organic growth, and web development! Being a part of this team has been both a huge learning experience and the most fun I’ve had in a summer.

Work setup: I work fully remotely from my home office setup in Toronto, Canada, which you might get a few peeks of from our Instagram Reels!

I use Opal to: control my social media addiction :upside_down_face: And to make sure that quick scroll during my coffee breaks doesn’t turn into a full on 2hr session!

My Schedules: I have the standard work schedule on during weekdays to block social media and entertainment, and a bedtime schedule from 10pm to 9am to ensure I get to have some quality sleep without staying on my phone.

Dreams: I want to take full agency of my life, so that means living unhindered by distractions that take away from my real goals. I want to create things that bring joy to others, whether that’s software that solves a big problem (like Opal), or music to soothe the soul.

Opal: I first discovered Opal through Twitter! :person_cartwheeling:

6 Likes

Welcome @ramy ! I’m actually glad I learned more about your set up in this post.

I’m Greta, Founder Associate at Opal!

Pro: Outside of Opal, I’m an undergraduate student at Brown, where I study Applied Math and Econ.
Work setup: I work remotely from Chicago but enjoyed working in-person when I was in Paris earlier this summer!
I use Opal to: be more intentional about my screen time usage. As a Gen Z college student, there’s no getting around using my laptop for work and my phone to keep in contact with my friends! By using Opal to be more intentional about when I’m working or on a break, I’m able to accomplish a lot more.
My schedules: Work M-F 9am-5pm blocking messaging apps and social media (especially LinkedIn!).
Dreams: I want to become more mindful in both my personal and professional life.
Opal: I discovered Opal by talking to another student and thought the idea that technology can be used for good was really interesting. With exams coming up, I tried out the app and loved how motivated it made me!

5 Likes

Love this Greta! Thanks for sharing.

Hey! I’m Matt, Engineering Lead at Opal :gem:

Pro: I’ve been at Opal for over 2 years leading Engineering and working on the iOS app. Before Opal I spent 10+ years creating apps for major companies and myself. I have a passion for creation iOS apps and especially love beautiful design & interactions.

Work setup: I work remotely from Macclesfield, England (just outside of Manchester) - close enough to reach the City in 30 mins but with beautiful landscapes next door.

I use Opal to: Be more present with family & friends, I use Opal mainly to block distracting apps when watching movies or spending time with my family.

My schedules: All internet, every day of the week 6-8pm

Dreams: I want to create products used and loved by millions of people, helping them to become their best selves.

Opal: I discovered Opal and met Kenneth through a friend right at Opal’s inception and have been here ever since.

5 Likes

Hi! Bonjour! I’m Christine, Office Manager at Opal :gem:

Pro: I have worked many years as an Executive Assistant, from big corporations to Start-ups. I am also an English, Spanish and French as a Foreign Language teacher on the side, I love both activities so I decided to keep doing both :slight_smile: :grinning:
Work setup: I work remotely from Nice, France
I use Opal to: Get work done and spend quality time alone and/or with my loved ones
My schedules: Work M-F 10 to 7 blocking news essentially ( I am not a big social media person :slight_smile: )
Dreams: I want to spread the word that life is 1000 times better when you are not on your phone for unessential things

7 Likes

Hi everyone! Such a pleasure to be here.

Pro: I am an attorney at a big law firm. I used to be a freelance writer and though I love law, I still dream of working in the Foreign Service.
Work Setup Hybrid; I typically go into the office but sometimes work from remote (usually from home); I was fully remote for a long time back when I was a freelancer and then when my firms reacted to COVID.
I Use Opal to: Focus on the moment, whether it’s work, loved ones, or something I’m watching. I have ADHD and OCD, so my mind and attention are always somewhere else or otherwise intruded upon. Opal gives me clarity and trains me not to check my phone reflexively.
My Schedules: Office hours, when I’m having dinner with family, and when I’m at the gym. I especially use it at night so I don’t doomscroll at the expense of sleep!
Dreams: A totally clear mind focused in the moment and with intentionality at one thing at a time.
Opal: I remember seeing an ad of that adorable mascot and being very intrigued. I was in the midst of studying for the bar exam and really needed the help. However, the first time I tried it was during a concern with my wife and friends, which allowed me to actually take in the fun! That’s when I immediately signed up for a subscription.

9 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m Randy, an iOS Engineer here at Opal!

Pro: I started with Opal as an engineering intern in September 2020, and soon after I dropped out of college to join full-time.

Work setup: I work remotely from Boulder, Colorado. It’s an awesome place to decompress from work with all the access to the outdoors :mountain_snow:

I use Opal to: To maximize the current moment. If I am working → be more productive and efficient. If I am hanging out with friends or family → be more present.

My schedules: I have a work schedule during my work hours that block social media, video, etc. On weekends, I block everything to stay off my phone as much as possible.

Dreams: I want to help introduce the concept of digital wellness to everyone that has a smart-phone, and offer them tools to spend their days meaningfully and with intent.

Opal: I stumbled upon Opal when it was in it’s first private beta, and then reached out to Kenneth via email a bunch of times, until he agreed to chat with me :grinning: From my first scan through Opal’s landing page at the time, I knew it was something I wanted to work on.

6 Likes

Romney it’s so great to have you here! We’re working together on mind clarity, I can’t wait to show you the latest version of Opal coming on iOS16 (soon!).

3 Likes

I remember the time we first met! You had done a high school project to test your friend’s addiction to Instagram, and I saw a YouTube video about it. So clear you belonged here!

5 Likes

Hi everyone, so nice to be here!

I’m Clo, founder of This Too Shall Grow and digital wellness coach!

Pro: My background is in tech, as a UX researcher & UX designer. I created This Too Shall Grow to teach designers how to build products that are more mindful of users’ wellbeing & mental health, and to help people build healthier relationships with their devices.

Work setup: From my lovely flat in Berlin!

I use Opal to: Make sure I don’t get side-tracked when I’m working

My schedules: 9-5, Mon-Fri

Dreams: A tech industry that doesn’t damage people’s attention and wellbeing, or our democracies. Being strong enough to do a human flag. Getting way better at painting!

Opal: I discovered Opal on Twitter, because I was following a team member!

6 Likes

Hello Opal community members.
This is my first time coming here. I came across Opal late night night when i was reading a Techcrunch article.
I am in Seattle. I was looking into options other than parental controls. So here i am. Hoping to learn more about Opal this weekend.
Congratulations.

4 Likes

Hi @Tkiddy100 welcome to Opal! We are thrilled to have you in the community :gem:.

1 Like

Welcome here! how did you first experience with the app go?

1 Like

Sorry Kenneth. I did not download the app yet. It seems that everywhere we go, someone wants us to download their app.

I am trying to limit my use of tech and Apps for my own sanity. Ha !
But seriously, i will get around to it.

Thank you Kenneth for taking on this brave challenge.

2 Likes

Hi! My name is Rachel. I am in Nashville TN. I am a singer/songwriter but I am currently out of the game overcoming some health issues. With no structure in my life, I desperately need Opal to help me out of my screentime addiction :sweat_smile: Screentime was legit like 8 hours yesterday, so bad. Today Christine helped me get set up so I hope it helps!

4 Likes