Exclude apps from screen time calculation - Google Maps, Spotify, audiobooks. (make them not count) - Set to NEUTRAL

UPDATE: You can exclude apps from screen time calculation by setting them to NEUTRAL right from the Opal home.

Animated GIF

You can tap on any app and edit wether you think this app is Productive, Neutral or Distracting. Hit Save, and your score and chart will update.

Productive: Apps that help your Focus

Distracting: Apps that hurt your Focus.

Neutral: Apps that neither hurt not help your focus. They are not counted towards your screen time. You can use this for example for apps you use in the background like Google Maps or audio like Spotify.

It’s up to you to decide!

PS if you don’t see the new Opal home, don’t forgot to update your Opal app!

–

I don’t consider navigation, music, meditation, audiobook, or other passive consumption apps as “screen time.” I’d like to be able to exclude them from my total time.

23 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. We are going to tackle this alongside this :=> Improve Focus Score: App Ratings

4 Likes

New user here. I listen to music when I work alot. After first day I was surpised by the screen time it said I had. It looks like it’s tracking my time using the music app. Is there a way I can make it not count that time as screen time?

3 Likes

Hey @here ! This is now possible with the new update, more information here: Improve Focus Score: Customize App Ratings / Choose which apps are distracting or productive - #40 by kenneth

If you set apps as “Neutral” they won’t count in your screen time calculation.

Is it possible to expand the list of apps we can edit the focus score of to our entire app library? Some apps I frequently use are missing.

Yes, can you list here the apps you want added? it’s a manual process but if you list them we will include them ASAP:

Kenneth, could we get Thought Diary and Abide added?

1 Like

Yes, will start a list App Ratings - which Apps do you want to add?

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Focus Score Edit / Customization - which Apps do you want to add?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Focus Score Edit / Customization - which Apps do you want to add?

How do you set the app to neutral

A post was merged into an existing topic: Focus Score Edit / Customization - which Apps do you want to add?

You can do this by going to

• Score tab
  • Edit on top left
  • Search for the app you want
  • Choose 'Neutral"

Hi! I use this app called King of the Curve it’s a study app for the MCAT but Opal counts it as a distracting app but I have to use it frequently. Can you please add King of the Curve on there?

I had the same idea in mind. I can’t work without classic music in the background, and I hate it when they add time just because I listened to music.

Hey !
Could you please add Amerigo and Pronote ? I always keep these apps open when I’m working so it’s annoying to see my focus score getting lower and lower when I just want to study

1 Like

Please add the app MAWAQIt and آية. Both very productive

how do you get to the score tab?

UPDATE @here : You can exclude any app or website from screen time calculation by setting them to NEUTRAL right from the Opal home.

Animated GIF

You can tap on any app and edit wether you think this app is Productive, Neutral or Distracting. Hit Save, and your score and chart will update.

Productive: Apps that help your Focus

Distracting: Apps that hurt your Focus.

Neutral: Apps that neither hurt not help your focus. They are not counted towards your screen time. You can use this for example for apps you use in the background like Google Maps or audio like Spotify.

It’s up to you to decide!

PS if you don’t see the new Opal home, don’t forgot to update your Opal app!